I credit law school and my experience at a law firm for helping me build the research skills necessary to successfully search for amazing recipes online. Lately, every recipe I've tried has been a keeper.
This recipe is one of the best ones I've found from my search. It is really, really good, and it somehow is also somewhat healthy. No one believes me when I tell them it’s made with nonfat cottage cheese and whole wheat pasta.
I make this on weekends, for guests, and during the week. My favorite part about this recipe is that it's easy to make two lasagnas at once. I just double the recipe, keep some leftovers for lunch the next day, and freeze the rest. It freezes really well.
Sometimes I make an extra one for a friend who just had a baby or is ill (or could use a homemade meal). When I make it as a gift, I bake it in an aluminum foil tin so I can cover it with tin foil. Then they don't have to worry about washing a dish and remembering to bring it back to me.
(Based on this amazing Turkey and Spinach Lasagna recipe)Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1-1 ½ pounds Ground Turkey
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 1 clove Crushed Garlic
- 1 can (14 Oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (14 Oz.) Crushed Tomatoes
- ¼ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- ½ teaspoons Sugar
- 2 cups Non Fat Cottage Cheese
- 1 package (10 Oz) Frozen Spinach
- 12 whole No-boil Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
- 1 cup Shredded Part-skim Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Defrost spinach, drain, and set aside.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, heat the oil.
- Add the turkey, onion, and garlic to the pan.
- Cook the turkey mixture until the turkey is brown and onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, and sugar.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese and spinach in a large bowl.
- Spoon 1/3 of sauce into bottom of 9×13″ baking dish, then top with 3 of the noodles. Spread half of the cottage cheese and spinach mixture over the noodles, then top with 3 more noodles.
- Repeat Step 9.
- Spread sauce over last layer of noodles, and sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.